Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's not about us...

Every Saturday night before we speak at a church we always get really nervous. We go over things in our heads to make sure we know exactly what we're going to talk about. We have all of our papers printed and put away that we need. We have a stack of faith promise cards and prayer cards ready to go. Sean recently has been leading worship at the churches as well, so he has his music stuff packed and ready. No matter how prepared we are, we always have that little pit in our stomachs and we wonder; what if something goes wrong? What if they don't like what have to say? What if they don't believe in our ministry?

Things have been kind of slow the last month. We are discovering that the majority of our funds have come from people that we know personally and not necessarily from churches or people that we have met at churches. Knowing this, we're constantly wondering if we need to change something about our presentation or if it's just the norm. Don't get me wrong, God has been incredibly faithful and our friends and family have been wonderful in the way they've supported us. We have met some very generous individuals from the churches we've visited. Also, we have incredible prayer support from all the churches we've visited. At times though, it is very easy to be discouraged because we've been around 30% for a while now.

I (Sam) was talking to an amazing friend the other night, Miss Amy Wilson, and I was telling her how overwhelmed I was by it all. I was telling her how I constantly wonder if we're doing enough, or if we need to do something differently. But Amy reminded me that it's not about us. It's not our words that are going to touch the hearts of the people we speak to, it's the Holy Spirit. When we make it about ourselves and what we're doing, then we lose focus. Of course we need to try our best, but in the end we can do every trick in the book and get no where. Amy reminded me to just give it to the Lord and the funds will come in when they need to. It's something that we both know, but it's good to be reminded sometimes.

So right now we're doing okay. We really enjoyed our time at Eastview on Sunday. We are finding out this coming Sunday how much they are going to donate. Please pray that God would touch the hearts of the people in the church.

Below I'd like to include a poem that I read recently and it was exactly what I needed to hear

He is Able
He is able, more than able
To accomplish what concerns me today
He is able, more than able
To handle anything that comes my way
He is able, more than able
To do much more than I could ever dream
He is able, more than able
To make me what He wants me to be

No comments:

Post a Comment